Star Wars: Silent Destiny

Session 31

In Which Caster Saves His Girl

GM:
A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away…

STAR WARS
Silent Destiny

Episode III
THE EYE OF OBLIVION

In the city of Wortan, Caster, Kay, Zeva, and R4-J16 have found the long-lost Vainglory. But they have also found Niknik Kuat — and Marius Krath, one of the infamous HOUNDS OF WINTER.

Krath is seeking something called the EYE OF OBLIVION, and will stop at nothing to retrieve it. A battle to take possession of the Vainglory breaks out.

But, as Kay, Kes, and Bella race to aid their friends, Krath arms the ship’s self-destruct….

SESSION 31

To recap:
Caster, Zeva, and R4-J16 are on the Vainglory. Caster’s on the bridge; the others are clustered around where the bridge corridor joins the ring corridor, fighting Marius Krath and Porrk the Gamorrean. Jaren, the Hounds of Winter pilot, is also charging from the cockpit toward Krath. J-16 has Grounded the Vainglory, and Zeva still has an I Am Not Afraid aspect. Krath just placed the Self-Destruct aspect. : D
Meanwhile, Kay has JUST landed the Silent Destiny in the same docking bay as the Vainglory.
Meanwhile MEANWHILE, unbeknownst to these folks, Kay and Bella are racing toward Wortan, thanks to some help from the Zabrak girl who was driving them around, Kala-Zen.
Meanwhile meanwhile erstwhile, unbeknownst to all, IG-88 is approaching the docking bay aboard the IG-2000.§
Since Krath acted last, and it’s a new exchange, let’s have Kay go first.

Kaylani Seren:
Kay shuts and attempts to lock down the Silent Destiny so no one else will be able to get in. (attempting to create advantage, “this is my ship, YOU CANNOT HAVE IT”) (clever +3-1 = 2)

GM:
(so the friendlies are Kay, Caster, Zeva, J16, Jaren. The hostiles are Krath, Porrk, ?)
J16 wheels back away from the Gamorrean and tries to zap him with his electro prod
(Careful 1 vs defense +3) But Porrk does not get cooked. He takes the opportunity to swing his hydrospanner at the droid
(
0 vs Quick +3) but the droid zips out of harm’s way, beeping in protest.Caster GO!

Caster Novastar:
“Which slag brain added a self-destruct to my ship?”
Caster tries some of the old passwords, and some that he thinks a low-rent thug might think up(Clever +0 rolled a -1 = -1)

GM:
The razzy beep that the console makes tells Caster that he has not gotten in

Caster Novastar:
“Well, so much for all passwords being 1234 or Password.”

GM:
(Who’s next? Krath, Zeva, Jaden?)
Krath disengages from Zeva and moves clockwise around the ring to the starboard turbolift. You catch a glimpse of his sneering grin before the lift doors close behind him.
Zeva tries to pursue, but isn’t able to castle past Porrk, so she swings her lightsaber at him
The blade sizzles as it scores a line across his chest (2 stress) but he isn’t done yet
Jaren turns and makes for the port turbolift.
Meanwhile, outside, someone in a Hounds of Winter uniform pulls the camo cover off of a heavy laser cannon and begins blasting at the Silent Destiny
(Kay, defend vs a +5)

Kaylani Seren:
(Kay fails to dodge or come up with anything clever: quick +3-2=1)

GM:
(so that’s 4 shifts of trouble)
Caster GO!

Caster Novastar:
(Is the Gammorean still up?)

GM:
(yes)
(a solid hit would probably take him down)

Caster Novastar:
“J16, break into the ship’s computers— I don’t care how— and keep it from turning us into a firey deathtrap.”
at the green pigface
“Hey, poodoo breath! I won’t even bother telling you how ugly you are because I’m watching these polished floors crack under your weight, but I will say that you’re a slime livered coward who had to work for a backwoods, half-rate failure of an assassin guild to be able to pay for only half the pig slop you’ve ever eaten!”
Trying to add aspect: Focused Bloodrage
(Sneaky roll?)

GM:
(I’ll allow it. XD )

Caster Novastar:
(sneaky +5, rolled a +2 = +7)
(New problem: do not get squished by the giant ball of muscle you just pissed off.)

GM:
(vs a +4) He did NOT like that. J16 moves behind Caster. (2 free invokes)
(who’s next? Kay, J16, Zeva, Jaren, Krath, Porrk, gunner?)

Caster Novastar:
Caster smirks

GM:
(story flow would suggest Porrk, but it’s your circus and your monkeys)

Caster Novastar:
(Porrk. Let’s see how this goes!)

GM:
Porrk puts his head down, snorts with rage, and bantha rushes at Caster (+3 attack)

Caster Novastar:
(Porrk’s swings are wild, Caster’s gotten pretty good at ducking around wild, angry swings at him.
Quick +2 rolled a +1 = +3)
(Not using the invoke, because Caster’s that good.)

GM:
He evades the attack by the very skin of his teeth (Porrk gains a boost)
Porrk doesn’t realize that he’s now charging at Zeva until her lightsaber pierces him through his chest. He lets out a blood-curdling squeal and collapses to the deck.
Kay GO!

Caster Novastar:
Caster recoils from the sound “Oh man, I think I just got turned off of bacon.”

GM:
(gunner has Defense +4 vs Kay’s attack)
Kay’s drop-down blaster fire ignites a line of fuel storage containers, forcing the gunner to abandon his post – for a moment.

Kaylani Seren:
Kay attempts to take out the blaster cannon via the Silent Destiny’s Gun and cause beautiful/huge explosion to distract/scare any other Hounds in the Area (flash 4-3, burn fate point reroll, flashy +41=5)

GM:
Who’s next? Krath, J16, Jaren, Gunner?

Caster Novastar:
(ok, we got you your ship back, pretty boy. NOW LEAVE US ALONE.)

GM:
The gunner rolls away from his weapon, draws a carbine, snaps out the stock, and continues to fire on the ship.
(attack +2)
But the weapon is singularly ineffectual against Silent Destiny’s shields.

Kaylani Seren:
Kay adjusts shields to cover, quick 3 + 3 = 6

GM:
(boost for Kay)
Jaren reaches the bottom floor of the ship shortly after Krath and can’t resist living the dream and taking a shot at his former boss.The bolt flies way over Krath’s shoulder. The bounty hunter shakes his head, takes careful aim, and murderizes the pilot.
J16 wheels himself back to the access panel and tries to shut down the override.
He beeps in frustration as he gets into the system, but can’t get past the security that the Hounds put in place.
A shadow falls over the Vainglory as a sleek, fierce-looking ship moves to hover above the docking bay and immediately opens fire upon her.
(attack +4, Caster)

Caster Novastar:
(Can I roll against that? Caster doesn’t have control over the ship right now.)

GM:
(yes pls)

Caster Novastar:
(Maybe take it on toughness?)
(or uh, forceful. sorry)

GM:
(sounds good)

Caster Novastar:
(rolled a 0, +1 toughness, 1 – 4 = -3)
(ouch)

GM:
(So that’s seven shifts)

Caster Novastar:
(ok, lets blow out my stress and take a moderate consequence)

GM:
(Caster can take a moderate consequence, the ship only has a mild slot)

Caster Novastar:
(Ok, that’ll work.)

GM:
(so the moderate consequence Could be Wracked with Feels)

Caster Novastar:
(ooh. Noted.)
The blaster fire slams into the ship, but Caster’s still trying to clear his head from the death he just saw

GM:
Kay GO!

Kaylani Seren:
*attempts to get the reckless firing bastard on the comm" “There are people in there, who are you and what are you doing?”

GM:
The radio is silent for a long second, then IG-88’s cold metallic drone sounds. “This bounty hunter poached my legal claim to a bounty on Mygeeto. Stay out of this.”

Kaylani Seren:
“That bounty hunter has hostages. Mind if I try to get them NOT blown up before you take your pound of idiot away?”

GM:
(Roll Something)

Kaylani Seren:
(clever 3 + 0 = 3)

GM:
The IG-2000 suddenly quits firing. “You have two minutes.”
Who goes next?
J16 makes another desperate attempt to stop the ship from blowing up.But he is not making any progress.

Caster Novastar:
(this is bad. Do we have a scary clock yet?)

GM:
Yes, and it’s counted more than halfway down
Zeva: “It’s no good, Caster. We need to get out of here, and now.”

Caster Novastar:
flat, deadpan “No.”

GM:
She holds up one hand, fingers slightly spread. “Please don’t make me.”

Caster Novastar:
“You wouldn’t dare. You have a code.”
“Honor it.”

GM:
“I – my code requires me to preserve life! I can’t let you throw yours away like this!” Her eyes brim with tears.

Caster Novastar:
“I’m not asking you to stay. But what’s the only thing that can blow up a ship? The engines? We can manually disconnect stuff, bargain with the droid outside. We have time. This isn’t lost yet.”
(ps: Caster has no idea how a ship works. This is going to end well.)

GM:
Her hand closes into a fist. Caster sees that she’s been cut on the back of it. “All right. But if we can’t save her, we HAVE to get out of here.”
She heads for a turbolift.
Caster GO!

Caster Novastar:
nods “We’ll save it— her.” Also dashes for a turbolift, time to pull of hatches and touch things!

GM:
You both make your way to the engine room. It is Very Foreign to you both.

GM:
“That looks important,” Zeva says, taking her lightsaber to some connective tubing.

Caster Novastar:
“We can always patch it later.”
jams on microphone “Kay! Kay! What is the most common way for a ship to self-destruct? I’m asking for a friend.”

Kaylani Seren:
“fff-” pause “engines overloading? can you get out so we can leave and let the droid deal with explosions?”

Caster Novastar:
“Well, fun fact.”

Kaylani Seren:
“Is Zeva there? Are you all right?”
Caster Novastar:

“Zeva’s fine. I’m fine. The big red, angry timer is fine.”
GM:
Zeva creates a shower of brilliant sparks, and the countdown clock stops.
And resumes, three seconds later.

Kaylani Seren:
THERE IS STILL A SIREN. I CAN HEAR IT.”

GM:
Zeva curses in Zabraki. You’ve taught her well

Caster Novastar:
“Ok, out of time. I need to stop engines from overloading, I don’t have access to computers. Common locations of access panels, now!”

Kaylani Seren:
“Zeva, thank goodness. And yes, that sounds about right, /can you get out?/”

Caster Novastar:
Caster takes on a well served, command voice. He’s good at orders

Kaylani Seren:
insert techo-babble

GM:
Armed with that information, Caster can attempt a roll vs a +5

Caster Novastar:
(This is a careful endeavor? Or do we not have enough time for that?)
(also, what aspects are in play right now?)(fair)(I am. Scene aspects at the moment?)

GM:
Vainglory Grounded and Overload!
Also, Zeva Is Not Afraid, but that train has kinda sailed

Caster Novastar:
Caster takes a deep breath “Ok, Zeva, look. This is bad. But you need to steel yourself, and work with me right now. I’m gonna need a second set of calm, steady, focused in the face of danger hands. That timer is going to get low.”
“Real low.”

GM:
(Force theme plays as Zeva looks at Caster anew)

Caster Novastar:
“But we are going to do this.” Attempting to add aspect: Calm in the face of fire-death to get Zeva to help, rolling on careful, invoking my smarmy businessman attitude to highlight the important bits

Caster Novastar:
(rolled a 0, 3 careful, +2 aspect invoke)
(
5 total)

GM:
(Success, 2 free invokes)

Caster Novastar:
(ok, next roll: Following those overcomplicated instructions)

GM:
Zeva takes a deep breath and lets it out slowly. “All right.”

Caster Novastar:
(careful +3, invoking Zeva’s help +2, rolled a 0 = +5)

GM:
Marius Krath takes advantage of the lull in IG-88’s assault to dash across the docking bay toward Silent Destiny.

GM:
He produces a fusion cutter and tries to slice his way through the lock on the gangplank.

Caster Novastar:
(also, sorry, thought we were out of combat for a second there. It’s a +5 roll whenever it makes sense ? )

GM:
(/nod. aspect created with 2 free invokes)
He will get in unless you want to invoke (spend a fate point on) the aspect you created

GM:
His attempt to bypass your security simply engages your backup security. He growls, animally.

Kaylani Seren:
(damn straight she invokes “this is my ship AND YOU CANNOT HAVE HER” and his attempt to break in triggers a flash grenade RIGHT IN HIS FACE)

GM:
The gunner, seeing the flash grenade go off in Krath’s face, comes up to help him.
He is, however, unable to bypass the backup security.IG-88 continues to hold his attack.
Caster GO!

Caster Novastar:
Ok, here we go team, let’s keep our ship alive! Trying to follow Kay’s instructions.
(Careful +3, invoking Zeva’s help +2, rolled a 0 = +5)
(That’s Kay’s instructions.)

GM:
Caster finds the port side junction box that connects the engines to the computer, which is what’s telling them to explode.
With great caution he uncouples the data cables. He can still hear the countdown going, but if he can do the same on the starboard side, that should stop the self-destruct.

Caster Novastar:
Caster sighs “Never count out a Novastar.”

GM:
The gunner rucks through a nearby toolbox until he comes up with a crowbar, and returns to force the gangplank open.
Krath breaks into a wide, scarred grin and climbs aboard.

GM:
It’s at THIS time that IG-88 fires on the one Hound he can see. His starship-scale weapons readily reduce him to a fine red mist
Kay GO!

Kaylani Seren:
RUNS to intercept and HEADSHOT the bastard before he figures out where she is (I am so PROUD OF YOU ZEVA LOOK AT THAT BASTARD YOU HURT HIM GOOD)

GM:
(His defense is a Forceful +7)

Kaylani Seren:
(quick +3-2=1, gdi)

GM:
Krath is Armored Up, protecting him from Kay’s attack. “Hiya,” he says, still grinning.
J16 abandons trying to shut down the self-destruct and, instead, turns off the lockdown he’d put on the ship.
THIS is when the Space UPS Van bearing Kes and Bella arrives at the docking bay.
Kes sees three ships, one of which has been blasted and has a few small fires going
(Only two of them she recognizes)
Bella: “Well, here’s a party.”

Kes-Varn:
“What in the hells —” She attempts to hail Kay on the comm.

Kaylani Seren:
“Help Zeva and Caster, the Vainglory’s on self-destruct, and I’m not sure any of us would do well that close to the boom. Also the droid bounty hunter hanging around up there might shoot us if we take too long?”

GM:
IG-88: /thinks “Okay, so who are THESE people?”

Kes-Varn:
Kes all but kicks open the door and flings herself out of the vehicle, comming Zeva because there’s never any point in comming Caster. “I’m on my way — do you know how much time is left on your self-destruct?”

GM:
Caster CAN hear the chatter on his comm.

Caster Novastar:
“Wait, no, we got it. Ignore the sirens.”
“We disconnected the engines. It’s fine.”

Kes-Varn:
“Ignore the— But—”

GM:
“Not long. Maybe thirty seconds. We’re about to try to deactivate it.”

Caster Novastar:
“But, Kay might be in trouble. Big bad dropped off our ship, and wants to steal something on yours.”
“So, you know, Captain, help them?”“I’ll make that an order if you’re struggling to figure out what to do.”

Kes-Varn:
Kes snarls into the comm in response and abruptly changes direction for the Silent Destiny.
(you’re gonna hear about that later, sonny)

GM:
She reaches the gangplank.

Caster Novastar:
(having a ship does not stop the snark. Nothing stops the snark)

GM:
Bella, following Kes, climbs aboard Silent Destiny and sees Krath’s back as he’s lumbering up the corridor toward the ship’s cockpit.“Oh, that won’t do,” she tsks, drawing her pistols and opening fire. (Fair fights are for suckers)
Krath doesn’t see the attack coming (defend +4, goes to stress)
A vibroblade is suddenly in his hand. “Here, kitty, kitty,” he says, turning from Kay to Bella.
She’s quick, but he manages to slice her with the blade (2 stress)
Kay GO!

Kaylani Seren:
Attempts to set off the fire suppression system to spray Krath with foam to create an advantage for Bella: “Blinded and Distracted” (clever 3 +0)

GM:
(Zeva is using her action to help Caster, so that’s a +1)

Caster Novastar:
Caster fires up the nearest access shipOS monitor, and after going to the wrong menu twice, finds the fire controls

GM:
(need a +5 again)

Caster Novastar:
Caster dashes over to the other side of the ship, swearing lightly that things are always harder than they should be, he digs into the other access panel
GM:
(again, +1 from Zeva, need a +5)

Caster Novastar:
(can I use another invoke of Calm in the face of fire-death?)
(I think I have one more)

GM:
(Yep)
(to both)

Caster Novastar:
(cool. Zeva’s help +1, Calm for fire death +2, careful +3 rolled, -1 = +5)
(I’ll also take a +4 failure here if I don’t have the bonuses right ?)

GM:
In true 007 fashion, Caster manages to uncouple the junction box and halt the self-destruct with scant seconds to spare
Kes GO!

Caster Novastar:
over comms “Ok, I think I got it! Vainglory isn’t going to boom!”

Kes-Varn:
(how wide is the corridor we’re in?)
(can two people fit across or)

GM:
They’’d have to squeeze past each other

Kes-Varn:
(womp womp… new plan)
(I was gonna bull-rush him)
(although I think i"m ahead of bella so it works) (cause I got there first)

Caster Novastar:
(Bella’s slim, and you’re about to make a lot of noise. She’ll stick to the ceiling or something. She’s a cat, cats do that, right?)

Kes-Varn:
(anyway it’s a Forceful +3 and a 0 on the roll I literally rolled nothing for the bull rush)
(OH WAIT)
(CAN I SEE KAY?)

GM:
Yes

Kes-Varn:
(2, Don’t Threaten My Babies)
(
5 total)
(eat it)

GM:
We get a close-up of the fur on the back of Bella’s neck standing up as she senses Kes’s approach.
She gracefully leaps out of the way as Kes rushes at Krath, crashing into him like a mad bantha
(1 on the defense roll) The bounty hunter’s leg gets pinned underneath him as he falls, and the bones crack in many, many places

GM:
Kay GO!
His cry of pain is pretty unmanly.

Kes-Varn:
(she’s currently A Little Bloodlusty but)

Kaylani Seren:
“Captain, do we want to try and keep him to ask him questions? Or give him to the droid outside who I dearly hope wants to kill him?”
“And is liable to be a might impatient by now.”

GM:
“Why not both?” Bella says, even though she wasn’t the one being asked.

Kes-Varn:
Kes pauses briefly, one arm raised with every intention of pummeling him. “We can do both. Can you hail the droid?”

Kaylani Seren:
“Oh sure, we had a lovely chat earlier, but he’s not much for conversation. Or listening. And seemed inclined to blow us all up first and collect the bits later.”

GM:
(fwiw Krath seems a bit preoccupied with his excruciating pain)

Kes-Varn:
“Tell him the captain of the ship is willing to hand over this guy alive if we can just beat him up a little.”

Kaylani Seren:
“Yes ma’am.”
hails “Now, we’ve gotten our hands on your prize, but we’d be willing to let you collect him, if you’re willing to give us just a moment to clean up and make sure all our people are in one piece? I know we just had the two minutes, but maybe a titch more?”

GM:
IG-88 deems this arrangement acceptable and goes to find a docking bay.

TO BE CONTINUED

Comments

DarthKrzysztof

I'm sorry, but we no longer support this web browser. Please upgrade your browser or install Chrome or Firefox to enjoy the full functionality of this site.